Phaewryn J.D. O’Guin

As someone who has faced poverty, adversity, disabling illness, and homelessness first-hand, I feel that my empathy for helping others is strong, and I genuinely enjoy finding solutions that solve problems. I love workarounds and challenges, and excel at finding solutions in creative and unexpected ways (fondly referred to as “kludging”). I hope to combine my technical skills with my social advocacy experience to make a career of solving problems, developing and implementing solutions that help people, and creating a positive and supportive work environment for my company.

I’ve spent the last couple of years recovering from a longstanding mental illness, and in the process, finding myself. With the burden of my mental illness lifted, I have regained control of my life. I have worked hard to resume the lifestyle of an enabled person, one who is not being crushed by illness. I am pursuing a dual degree pathway for Computer Network Administration and Computer Systems Management. I’m motivated and ready to catch up on all the “normal life” I have missed due to my disability. I am focused on my future, and what I can give back. I am finally experiencing a level of clarity I’d not had previously, and I am now very focused on a technical career. I am currently enrolled as a student at the Community College of Vermont.

I am seeking opportunities to advance my education and career by volunteering or advancing through internships for professional or non-profit organizations. I would like to offer my skills to assist organizations with technical and social networking needs, website design, or internships in human resources. I am qualified to assist with website design or maintenance, office technology troubleshooting (PC set up and maintenance, office equipment, wired/wireless network troubleshooting), social networking, community outreach, office administration, kennel/cattery management, veterinary assistance, retail merchandising, shipping & receiving, and feet-on-the-ground community service actions. My primary areas of interest are organizations which serve as homeless shelters, organizations which serve the homeless, animal rescues or shelters, disaster and humanitarian relief efforts, poverty alleviation (I am Bridges out of Poverty trained), social service agencies, mental health organizations working within our communities to serve marginal populations, and professional associations, fraternal organizations, or clubs dealing with technology/engineering.